For more than 100 years, the city of Toledo and its surrounding communities have depended on the skilled men and women of the Toledo Northwest Ohio Building Trades.
Four of our affiliated unions – Electrical Workers Local 8, Iron Workers Local 55, Painters and Tapers Local 7, and Sheet Metal Workers Local 33 – have histories of serving the building and construction needs of Northwest Ohio that date back over 120 years. Founded in Toledo on January 25th, 1888, Sheet Metal Workers Local 6 merged with eight other local districts on its 100th anniversary in 1988 to form the current Local 33.
Carpenters Local 351 has had a union presence in Toledo since the early 1900’s and merged with Locals 248, 1138, 1365 and 1581 in April of 2011 to form the local as it stands today.
From the time Road Sprinkler Fitters Local 669 became a member of the United Association in 1915 and an autonomous union in 1972, the local was witness to several key events in our nation’s history whose direct results included significant law changes affecting organized labor.
Plasterers and Cement Masons Local 886 has serviced all the labor construction projects in Northwestern Ohio and Southern Michigan for over 60 years. In 1946, Local 886 joined with the Contracting Plasterers’ International Association and general contractors to establish one of the first certified apprentice training programs in the region. Through this program, the union was able to guarantee a steady flow of qualified plasterers to the ever-expanding construction industry.