Featured Project

Scorpion_FishToledo Zoo Aquarium

Following a $25.5 million renovation, the historic Toledo Zoo Aquarium reopened to the public on March 27, 2015 after being closed for nearly two and a half years.

The Northwest Ohio Building Trades played a large role in the renovation of the fourth largest zoo aquarium in the country, which is now home to more than 3,000 aquatic animals in roughly 178,000 gallons of water. In addition to the marine exhibits, crews also constructed a 40,000-gallon outdoor penguin exhibit.

Prior to the renovation, the largest size exhibit was 7,600 gallons. Today, the largest tank – “The Reef” – holds about 90,000 gallons and features a two-story viewing window. Other tanks focus on geographic areas like the Gulf of Mexico, flooded forest, kelp forest, the deep seas, and Lake Erie islands and Ohio waterways.

In addition to renovating the entire inside of the building and relocating the main entrance, trades members helped to install all mechanical, light, and life support systems, including specially-designed filtration systems for interactive exhibits.

About 80 percent of funding for the project came from proceeds of the 2006 Lucas County tax levy, with the other 20 percent procured through private donations, according to Jeff Sailer, the zoo’s executive director.

IMG_0601_web

______________________________________________________________________

Originally posted on August 26, 2013 

The historic Toledo Zoo Aquarium is currently undergoing the first major renovation in the building’s 74-year history, and the Toledo Northwest Ohio Building Trades are working hard to ensure the local landmark reopens looking better than ever.

Although the interior size and exterior of the building, which opened to the public in June of 1939, will remain mostly the same, $25 million will go towards tripling the size of exhibits and moving the entrance back to its original location in the middle of the building. New exhibits will be designed to be much more interactive for visitors and will include a 40,000-gallon outdoor penguin exhibit.

About 80 percent of funding for the project came from proceeds of the 2006 Lucas County tax levy, with the other 20 percent procured through private donations, according to Jeff Sailer, the zoo’s executive director.

Demolition on the Toledo Zoo Aquarium project began in November of last year and will be ongoing up to the grand reopening slated for April 2015.

 

Share This Post

, , , , ,

Comments are closed.